To help you decide if you are ready for online coursework, respond to the following statements by choosing “yes” or “no”. Be honest with yourself!
1. I am self-motivated and self-disciplined.
2. I am a good “time-manager.”
3. I am comfortable with e-mail and word processing.
4. I can read analytically and critically.
5. If I set my sights on an end result, I usually achieve it.
6. I am confident in my academic abilities.
7. I do not give up easily, even when confronted with obstacles.
8. I believe I am responsible for my own education.
9. I do not have conflicts with work, athletics, child care or school activities.
10. I have convenient and frequent access to a computer with an internet connection.
11. I am willing to try something new.
12. I am willing to express my thoughts and opinions in writing.
13. I am willing to work in a loosely structured environment.
After completing the questionnaire, count the number of times you selected “yes” or “no”.
If you answered “yes” to fewer than 10 statements, rethink your reasons for wanting to enroll in an online course. You may not feel comfortable with this style of instruction and may not be capable of learning this way.
If you answered “yes” to at least 10 statements, online learning may be right for you!